Hair Loss 101: Causes of Balding and Treatment for Thinning
Hair loss is a concern among both men and women. A thinning hairline and bald spots can dramatically compromise a person’s self-confidence. Many individuals who suffer from hair loss experience additional frustration because they aren’t sure why they are losing their hair and what they can do about it.
At Arocha Hair Restoration & Implant Center, Dr. Bernardino A. Arocha offers several treatments for thinning hair, including hair transplant surgery to restore a thicker, fuller head of hair. Here, Dr. Arocha provides his Houston, TX, patients with a crash course in Hair Loss 101: Causes of Balding and Treatment for Thinning so they understand the treatment options available to them and which may be best for their specific needs and desires.
What Causes Hair Loss?
Many people think of hair loss as something that naturally happens to men as they get older, but it is more complicated than that. Hair loss can affect men and women equally. And while many people start to notice thinning hair after they reach a certain age (typically in their middle ages), aging is not the only thing that dictates whether or not a person will suffer from hair loss.
Some of the causes of hair loss include:
- Genetics (hereditary hair loss–the most common kind of hair loss)
- Physical stressors, such as childbirth or illness
- Hormonal imbalances
- Damage from hair treatments
- Trauma from pulling hair or wearing certain hairstyles
- Scalp infection or other skin conditions
- The use of certain medications
Treating Thinning Hair
The most effective treatments for thinning hair depend on the cause and type of hair loss. In some cases, lifestyle changes, nutritional supplements, or medication are enough to promote hair growth. However, our Houston patients who experience hereditary hair loss are most likely to require hair loss treatment. Dr. Arocha offers surgical and non-surgical treatments at his hair restoration clinic.
Surgical Treatment For Thinning Hair
Dr. Arocha offers two types of hair transplant surgery: follicular unit transplant (FUT) and follicular unit extraction (FUE). FUT and FUE are surgical techniques to transplant donor hair from an area of the scalp with ample hair growth to one where thinning has occurred.
- FUT - During the FUT procedure, Dr. Arocha removes a strip of skin containing hair follicles from the donor site and transplants it to areas of hair loss.
- FUE - During the FUE procedure, Dr. Arocha removes individual hair follicles (without removing skin) and transplants them to areas of hair loss.
Non-surgical Treatment for Thinning Hair
Hair transplant surgery effectively treats thinning hair to restore a fuller hairline. However, non-surgical options are available to our Houston patients who want a less invasive treatment. Minimally invasive hair restoration options offered by Dr. Arocha include scalp micropigmentation and LaserCap® LCPRO.
- Scalp micropigmentation - This medical tattoo procedure creates the appearance of fuller, thicker hair. It can be performed alone or alongside hair transplant surgery.
- LaserCap® LCPRO - This FDA-approved device is worn at home to promote hair growth. The cap is worn three times a week for 30 minutes.
Many people suffer from hair loss. Fortunately, hair restoration treatments allow people to create a fuller hairline, so they feel more confident about their appearance. If you are interested in learning which of the hair restoration techniques offered by Dr. Bernardino A. Arocha may be best suited to your unique needs, send us a message at your earliest convenience.