Learn All You Can About Hair Transplant
Dr. Bernard Arocha, founder of Arocha Hair Restoration, is joining other members of the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery (ISHRS) in urging consumers to do their due diligence when choosing a hair restoration surgeon. To help in the education process, we encourage you to review the ISHRS consumer education website, which provides a list of questions patients should ask when seeking a physician.
At Arocha Hair Restoration, we are committed to the highest standards of medical practice and we do everything we can to educate the hair loss community about all aspects of hair loss treatment and hair restoration surgery.
In particular, the ISHRS is warning that some consumers have been put at risk and/or victimized by clinics that advertise low costs and guaranteed results under the auspices of so-called “medical tourism.” They end up with poor growth, poor results, and sometimes permanent damage to the scalp.
Increasing numbers of patients are now seeking to correct the mistakes of procedures done by those not properly trained to perform hair transplants.
This is so common that a significant part of Dr. Arocha’s practice is devoted to Corrective (Revision Transplant Surgery. We think it’s terrible that unnatural-looking hair transplant results can end in dissatisfaction and/or physical scars that contribute to mistrust for hair restoration surgery and hair restoration doctors. While each patient has unique needs, Dr. Arocha’s approach to revision hair transplantation typically involves the removal of some of the hair follicles from the initial treatment followed by transplantation of new hair follicles from the donor area.
Of course, Dr. Arocha makes it a point to pay careful attention to overall aesthetics and provide precise restoration consistent with the patient’s original goals and expectations.
It is hard to overstate the importance of thoroughly researching potential treatments, procedures and medical providers so you can have 100 percent confidence in your decision. We at Arocha Hair Restoration believe there is no such thing as a dumb question!
Here are some issues we believe every patient needs to understand:
- How do I choose a hair restoration surgeon?Ask about their education, training, licensure and experience in treating hair loss.
- Who will be involved in performing my surgery? What role will staff play and what is their education, training and experience performing hair restoration surgery?
- What are the surgical options?Learn the difference between Follicular Unit Transplantation(FUT or strip) and Follicular Unit Extraction(FUE).
- Realize that scarring is a part of surgery.Both FUT and FUE result in scars – although with our state-of-the-art manual FUE, there is virtually no noticeable scarring. Beware of anyone who claims they can perform a “scarless” hair transplant surgery.
- While transplanted hair should last a lifetime, you may continue to lose hair. It’s possible that in years to come, you may want to consider an additional procedure.
- Will co-workers notice my hair transplant? With so many celebrities having hair transplants, there is no shame or stigma in improving the way your hair looks. Since many patients get right back to work, we can suggest options for making the transplantation less noticeable.
- How much will it cost? Hair restoration is a cosmetic procedure and typically is not covered by insurance. At Arocha Hair Restoration, we offer financing optionsthrough a partnership with CareCredit®, and we accept all major credit cards.
- Will it be painful?Arocha Hair Restoration typically uses local anesthesia to numb the scalp during surgery. Post-surgery, mild pain and swelling can be expected, which can be alleviated with over-the-counter medication.
Dr. Arocha is personally involved in all aspects of patient care, including:
- Preoperative diagnostic evaluation and consultation;
- Planning and executing the surgery; and
- Management of medical issues and possible adverse reactions.
If you would like to learn more about Dr. Arocha and his experience, or if you would like to schedule a complimentary consultation, please contact us today.